Friday, April 11, 2014

Lesson Plan Format/Template

I know often teachers are provided a lesson plan template to use by their administrator. Often teachers find it challenging to plan with the template provided, as we all have our own individual and unique planning style.  My advice is to talk to your principal about it and discuss creating your own.  The goal is not to type an effective lesson but to teach one. A format that works for one teacher may be ineffective for another.  We do a lot of writing in my math class.  Some of my students prefer to use a Venn Diagram, some desire a foldable, and some a t-chart.  My goal for them is comprehension of objective and producing quality work. I could care less what resource they use.   

With that being said, I just wanted to share with you all a lesson plan that I created for myself. This allows me to plan AND deliver an effective lesson based off my teaching and planning style.  This format can be used as a weekly or daily format. Do what is effective for you. Happy Planning. I use it as a weekly plan; I just type info in a paragraph format with designated days and dates.



Title of Unit: 
Course:
Dates:
Overview & Objectives:

Purpose and Goals of lesson.
Tools: 
Invitation:

Versus an introduction to a lesson I decided I want to call it an invitation. Let’s invite the student to our lesson and to learning.  
Essential Question(s):   

Instead of having HOTS, I prefer to have essential question; training my students to have the mindset when approaching any math problem or content what is it that they need to determine, ask, or implement themselves in order for them to have success on an assignment.  
Exploration & Explanation:

I am completely and utterly over the label guided practice. My students and I have more fun exploring and explaining. 
Taking Action:

Yes independent practice drives me. Yeah I said it. I need them to take action! This terminology ensures they deliver quality work.  When I say “Now it’s time for you to take action and demonstrate your knowledge,” it has a much better effect than simply saying “Okay, class it’s time for your independent practice.  It also helps me outline my expectations and develop quality material.
Evaluation/Assessment:



Setting: 

Setting will include (RTI), Differentiation, Small Group, Whole Group, Etc…
Early Finisher Activity: 

Closure:
 

Learners Not Present For Lesson: Will fill in before lesson

I cannot speak for anyone but me, but I am “foldered out.”  As teachers we have to keep sooo may records until it can just take us over.  This allows me to be able to easily access who was not present for each lesson and have an accurate record of it without having to look for it in a folder. This will also allow me to establish data when creating student profiles. 

This section can be transformed into five rows as well for M-F.   I prefer to just write as needed.
Learners With Incomplete Homework: Will fill in before lesson

A simple way to monitor HW completion.


 This section can be transformed into five rows as well for M-F
I prefer to just write as needed.
Analysis Of Lesson : Will fill in during lesson

A simple way to record your analysis from the lesson, with the actual lesson.  Personally I cannot rock with a checklist. I need to write my specifics and I am over writing on a separate sheet of paper, and having a fit if I misplace it. L Hmph.

 This section can be transformed into five rows as well for M-F
I prefer to just write as needed.
Solutions & Celebrations: Will fill in after lesson
A place for me to write down how I plan to celebrate the success of my students and resolve any academic deficiencies.Yes I am over the label  Reflections!!


This section can be transformed into five rows as well for M-F
I prefer to just write as needed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment