Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Redirecting Students Choosing Poor Behavior Without Interrupting Instructional Time & Praising Students That Are On Task!



An effective way to redirect your students when they choose to make poor decisions during instruction time:
                

A colleague shared a strategy that she learned in a professional development workshop that allowed teachers to redirect students without having to say a word.  The strategy involved using a stop sign card that instructed the student to do just that, STOP, and advise them to make a better choice. Being that I am big on not placing focus solely on students who make bad choices and display poor behavior I created a card that praises those students who initially choose positive behavior.  I have included a picture of the cards I use in my classroom.  This has proven to be a great asset.  Students value receiving a green card from me, and seem disappointed when they get a red one.  When I give them a red card students do seem to redirect themselves more. They are also advised they have to keep the card on their desk; students immediately redirect themselves to have the card removed by me and to hopefully receive a green card.  This also eliminates having to interrupt instructional time to redirect or discipline a student.  I simply place the card on their desk and continue the flow of my lesson. Hope this can help someone out there in the universe! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment